Who We Are
Welcome to the Office of Innovation and Improvement (OII), where our mission is to accelerate the pace at which the U.S. identifies, develops, and scales solutions to education’s most important or persistent challenges. OII makes strategic investments in innovative educational programs and practices, and administers 25 discretionary grant programs managed by four program offices: Charter Schools Program, Parental Options and Improvement, Teacher Quality Programs, and Education Innovation Programs. In addition, OII also serves as the Department’s liaison and resource to the nonpublic education and military communities through the Office of Non-Public Education and Military Affairs. Lastly, OII is home to ED’s Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) initiatives team.
The Office of Innovation and Improvement is led by a dynamic team of individuals who have extensive experience in government service and in the private sector. Many have directed federal grant programs and have been teachers, policy analysts, and directors of programs for nonprofit organizations and foundations.
Assistant Deputy Secretary
- Jason Botel, Acting Assistant Deputy Secretary
- Ann Margaret Galiatsos, Executive Officer
- Maureen Dowling, Director, Office of Non-Public Education and Military Affairs
- Anna Hinton, Director, Parental Options and Improvement
- Soumya Sathya, Acting Director, Charter Schools Program
- Kelly Terpak, Director, Education Innovation Programs
- Venitia Richardson, Director, Teacher Quality Programs
General Contact Information
Ann Margaret Galiatsos
400 Maryland Avenue, SW
Washington, DC 20202