Mission and Activities
The U.S. Department of Education’s Military Affairs Team (MAT) is the one-stop-shop resource for all military-connected issues from early learning through postsecondary education. MAT:
- Advocates on behalf of military families, military-connected students, service members and veterans;
- Communicates with national, state and local organizations advocating on behalf of the military community;
- Supports the implementation of key education policies that impact the military community;
- Collaborates with other local, state, and federal agencies to assist the military community; and
- Provides technical assistance, presentations and publications related to the military community.
- U.S. Department of Education Programs Supporting Veterans. The U.S. Department Education implements competitive grant programs that provide funding to colleges and nonprofit organizations to assist veterans in enrolling in and completing a program of postsecondary education. These programs provide a great opportunity for veterans to get personalized counseling and support to achieve success in higher education.
- 8 Keys to Veterans’ Success (8 Keys). The 8 Keys are steps that postsecondary institutions can take to assist Veterans and Service members in transitioning to higher education, completing their college programs, and obtaining career-ready skills.
- Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) – Transition Assistance Program for Service Members Transitioning from Active Duty. This MOU sets forth the agreement among federal agencies and their collaboration on the redesigned Transition Assistance Program (TAP). TAP provides training, information, and services to help Service members achieve their post-military career and education goals.
- Departments of Education and Defense Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) (PDF, 47K). This MOU establishes a framework for collaboration between the two departments to address the quality of education and the unique challenges facing K–12 children of military families.
- Secretary’s Guidance on Military-Connected Children and Public School Attendance Policies. The letter provides information for school districts seeking examples of effective practices that address the needs military families while maintaining high standards and upholding established attendance policies.
- Interstate Compact on Educational Opportunity for Military Children. The Secretary’s Dear Colleague Letter indicates support for the work of this Interstate Compact.