EIR FY 2018 Competition Page
LINKS TO OTHER COMPETITION-RELATED PAGES
FY 2018 Education Innovation and Research (EIR) Competitions
FY 2018 Education Innovation and Research (EIR) Competition Announcement
On April 19, 2018, the U.S. Department of Education published in the Federal Register, three notices inviting applications for the Education Innovation and Research Program’s Early-phase, Mid-phase, and Expansion competitions.
TIMELINE FOR FY 2018 EARLY-PHASE, MID-PHASE, AND EXPANSION COMPETITIONS
- Deadline for Notice of Intent to Apply: May 9, 2018
- Deadline for Transmittal of Applications: June 5, 2018
- Deadline for Intergovernmental Review: August 6, 2018
Application Materials for Early-phase, Mid-phase, and Expansion Competitions
Each application will be reviewed under the competition it was submitted under in the Grants.gov system, and only applications that are successfully submitted by the established deadline will be peer reviewed. Applicants should be careful that they download the intended EIR application package and to submit their applications under the intended EIR competition.
- Early-phase Application Package PDF (741 KB)
- Mid-phase Application Package PDF (819 KB)
- Expansion Application Package PDF (821 KB)
Notice of Intent to Apply
Applicants are strongly encouraged to notify the Department of intent to submit an application for funding under the Education Innovation and Research Program (EIR). Please note that an entity that submits a notice of intent to apply is not obligated to apply for an EIR grant, nor is it bound to the information provided in its notice of intent to apply.
- Early-phase: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/68R7WHZ
- Mid-phase: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/PBVB8PJ
- Expansion: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/PXRTP7T
Eligibility Instructions Documents
This eligibility instructions document provides guidance on how applicants may consider documenting the eligibility requirements. Applicants may consider attaching their documentation for eligibility requirements to the SF 424 Form.
- Applicant Eligibility Instructions—Early-phase Grants MS Word (43 KB)
- Applicant Eligibility Instructions—Mid-phase Grants MS Word (45 KB)
- Applicant Eligibility Instructions—Expansion Grants MS Word (45 KB)
- Applicant Eligibility Instructions Example PDF (49 KB)
This Evidence Requirements Checklist is intended to help applicants determine what studies to include on the Evidence Form with their application for the purposes of meeting the evidence requirement. Applicants can use the checklist as an informal worksheet to understand the evidence criteria used to review studies and learn about additional evidence-related resources available online.
- Applicant Evidence Checklist—Mid-phase MS Word (60 KB)
- Applicant Evidence Checklist—Expansion Grants MS Word (60 KB)
Informational Recordings and Resources
Last year, an informational workshop was held for prospective applicants. There is no in-person workshop this year. In lieu of a workshop, a series of informational recordings and their associated PowerPoints below will serve a similar role.
|1 Overview of EIR’s Three Competitions:||Informational Recording| PowerPoint|
|2 Eligibility:||Informational Recording| PowerPoint|
|3 Matching and Other General Requirements:||Informational Recording| PowerPoint|
|4EP Early-phase Priorities and Evidence Requirement:||Informational Recording| PowerPoint|
|4MP Mid-phase Priorities and Evidence Requirement:||Informational Recording| PowerPoint|
|4EXP Expansion Priorities and Evidence Requirement:||Informational Recording| PowerPoint|
- Understanding the Evidence Definitions Used for U. S. Department of Education Programs Presentation by the Institute of Education Sciences (IES) that includes audio: PowerPoint
- Using the What Works Clearinghouse (WWC) to Identify Strong or Moderate Evidence of Positive Effects from Education Interventions that includes audio: PowerPoint
|5EP Early-phase Selection Criteria and Scoring:||Informational Recording| PowerPoint|
|5MP Mid-phase Selection Criteria and Scoring:||Informational Recording| PowerPoint|
|5EXP Expansion Selection Criteria and Scoring:||Informational Recording| PowerPoint|
|6 Preparing a Budget Narrative:||Informational Recording| PowerPoint|
|7 Documents to Include in an Application:||Informational Recording| PowerPoint|
|8 Applying in Grants.Gov:||Informational Recording| PowerPoint|
- Common Instructions for Applicants to Department of Education Discretionary Grant Programs: www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2018-02-12/pdf/2018-02558.pdf